Welcome to the Editor's Corner. The Editor's Corner contains the basic information that any user wishing to edit the MH Wiki should know, along with a few other pages that editors can use to organize their work.
Basic Editing Tips
The basic editing tips are meant for the casual editor who plans on adding some information to the MH Wiki. Following these guidelines will ensure that your contribution will require little or no follow up edits.
- Before editing, check that your information is factual. Theories and unverified information should never be on the wiki.
- You can start editing an article by clicking on the edit link in each section, or by clicking on the edit tab on the top of the page.
- After finishing the edit, do not click save yet. First make sure you check your edit visually using the "Show preview" button.
- If you are lost in your own edit, you can click on the "Show changes" button to see the work you have done.
- Make sure to include an Edit Summary of the work you have done. It is the textbox located above the buttons. This will provide other editors with info on the work done, and helps keep the page history organized.
- Tick the minor edit box if the information you have added is trivial, or edits involve minor issues such as grammar, spelling etc.
- After going through the steps 3 to 6, should you then proceed with a save.
- Checking the recent page history for past edits is usually a good idea. Sometimes, the last edit was just so bad that you should not even try fixing it. In this case, you should perform an "Undo" instead.
- When performing any undo, make sure it to include the edit summary giving full reasons for it.
- While most edits are in good faith, not everyone might agree that it was correct or proper. If your work is removed or changed, and you feel that it was done in error, please discuss your point of view on the subject in the Discussion page. It is also known as the Talk page.
- Template:U - Wiki User Profile Template
- Template:MHP - MouseHunt Profile Template
- Template:Trade - MouseHunt Trade Request Template
- Template:MHA - Super|brie+ Auction Profile Template
- Template:Date - Date Template (Please use for Dates)
Making comments on User and User:Talk pages
Some additional guidelines for edits to User and User:Talk pages:
- Avoid editing a User page. Most users prefer that it is left for their own work, such as an introduction or list of things they are working on.
- When making a new comment on a User:Talk page, make sure to use a section tag using "== A Section Tag ==" by adding 2 equal characters at the front and back of the section header.
- If you are giving a reply, don't forget to indent it accordingly, as shown in the example below. This is done by adding a ':' colon mark for each level of indent.
- Lastly, don't forget to sign your comments. It can be done by adding -- ~~~~ at the end of the comment.
Things you should not do
The following lists some basic things that you should not be adding or doing on the MH Wiki.
- Inserting false information, will likely lead to a month long ban. Serious offenders have been known to be permanently banned from the wiki.
- Posting personal hunt results/strategy on any of the main articles. This is best left to the forums.
- Do not discuss hunting strategy on the wiki. Again, this is better left to the forums. This is to avoid spamming the Special:RecentChanges page with non-wiki related topics.
Some editors might encounter the following error message when trying to save edits:
Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in.
In this case, check that you are editing the wiki from the following address which comes from the in-game Lore tab:
Rather than the following link, which comes from the MH Toolbar:
- Further Troubleshooting
If the previous solution doesn't work, you might have some issues with acquiring a fixed IP address. The MH Wiki only recognizes 1 IP address between editing and saving, so if it has changed in the meantime, you will have difficulties saving changes. The workaround for this is to use a proxy server to mask your own IP and to get a fixed address.
- Read up on wiki etiquette here: Wikipedia:Wiki etiquette. In short, be polite and civil to other editors, and they will do the same.
- Wikipedia contains lots of information for the interested editor. Some of the more useful and relevant links:
This section links to pages that contain more information on the stuff that needs to be done around the MH Wiki. Interested editors are encouraged to visit the links to see how you can help.
- MHWiki:Manual of Style – Contains the standardized formats of the various sets of pages such as Mouse, Location, Weapon pages etc.
- MHWiki:Articles needing attention – Contains a list of articles that still have much to be improved upon.
- MHWiki:Data Links – Contains information on where updates should be applied. For example, when a new mouse is added, the various pages that will need to be updated to keep everything consistent.