- 1 Overview
- 2 Sand Crypts HUD
- 3 King Grub Minigame
- 4 Sand Crypts Mice
- 5 Hunting Strategy
- 6 Shops
- 7 History and Trivia
- 8 Links
|Region: Sandtail Desert|
|Travel Requirement:||Living Garden Key|
Carmine the Apothecary
in Living Garden
|Required Power Type:||Shadow|
|Required Cheeses:||Graveblossom Camembert|
|Required Charms:||Grub Salt Charm|
Grub Scent Charm
|Number of Mice:||6|
|Release Date:||14 November 2012|
|While there's no Grubling Mice in the area, slime trails indicate they've been through here. Perhaps they've been bringing food or something else to the immense and powerful King Grub Mouse that lives in the area?|
The Sand Crypts is a location in the Sandtail Desert region requiring a minimum rank of Baron/Baroness, the Living Garden Key, and capturing Carmine the Apothecary in the Living Garden to enter. The Living Garden Key is obtained from the Cartographer at the Muridae Market.
Graveblossom Camembert is required for attracting all mice in the Sand Crypts. Hunters must use Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms and play the King Grub Minigame to weaken the King Grub and King Scarab mice. Once weakend, Hunters can arm a Grub Scent Charm to attract the King Grub Mouse or a Shattering Charm to attract the King Scarab Mouse. Catching either will reset the King Grub Minigame.
Hunters must collect Lunaria Petals to use in purchasing Lunaria Camembert. Lunaria Camembert is required for attracting Twisted Carmine, and with a Shattering Charm armed, Shattered Carmine in the Twisted Garden.
Accessing the Twisted World
The Twisted World locations of Twisted Garden, Cursed City, and Sand Crypts can only be accessed by capturing Carmine the Apothecary with Duskshade Camembert in the Living Garden. Capturing Carmine the Apothecary will move the Hunter to the Twisted Garden and the following message is displayed:
On catching Carmine the Apothecary, a light flashes and a spell she had prepared in advance erupts! Nightmarish tendrils of dark smoke burst from the ground around me, and before I knew it the world had changed before my very eyes into a wild and twisted version of itself.
I can feel this world itself attempting to reject me and send me back, but I must stay as long as I am able to find out what Carmine is doing in this hidden, dark place.
Almost as if an illusion suddenly shattered, the world around me snaps back to normal. Using X Cheese has brought me back to the normal world.
The Living Garden Sequence
Hunters will need to hunt the areas in the Living Garden sub-region in a specific order. The following steps outline the basic requirements for accessing and hunting in each location. Additional information on minigames and other activities can be found on the individual location pages.
The steps of the cycle that can be completed in the Sand Crypts location are highlighted in bold.
- Step 1: Living Garden
- Step 1a: Hunt with Standard Cheese in the Living Garden to collect Dewthief Petals.
- Step 1b: Use Dewthief Petals to purchase Dewthief Camembert.
- Step 2a: Hunt with Dewthief Camembert in the Lost City to collect Dreamfluff Herbs.
- Step 2b: Hunt with Dewthief Camembert in the Sand Dunes to collect Duskshade Petals.
- Step 2c: Use Dreamfluff Herbs and Duskshade Petals to purchase Duskshade Camembert.
- Step 3: Living Garden
- Step 3a: Hunt with Duskshade Camembert in the Living Garden.
- Step 3b: Capture Carmine the Apothecary to open the Twisted World and travel to the Twisted Garden.
- Step 4: Twisted Garden
- Step 4a: Hunt with Duskshade Camembert in the Twisted Garden to collect Graveblossom Petals.
- Step 4b: Use Graveblossom Petals to purchase Graveblossom Camembert.
- Step 5a: Hunt with Graveblossom Camembert in the Cursed City to collect Plumepearl Herbs.
- Step 5b: Hunt with Graveblossom Camembert in the Sand Crypts to collect Lunaria Petals.
- Step 5c: Use Plumepearl Herbs and Lunaria Petals to purchase Lunaria Camembert.
- Step 6: Twisted Garden
Sand Crypts HUD
Hunters can access and track the following using the Heads-Up Display:
King Grub Minigame
To play this minigame, Hunters need to arm Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms and hunt normally. As the player catches mice, the salt meter will increase weakening the King Grub Mouse and King Scarab Mouse. The meter is capped at a maximum of 50 salt.
Grub Salt Charms can be purchased for 200 gold and 1 Ber Essence from the Sand Crypts Charm Shoppe.
Super Salt Charms can be crafted or found in Living Garden Treasure Chests.
Once salt has been collected, Hunters can use Grub Scent Charms to attract the King Grub Mouse.
A minimum of 18 salt collected with Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms is generally recommended when targeting this mouse. Higher salt levels usually reduce the numbers of failures to catch.
The meter will reset after successfully catching the King Grub, with the following message in the Hunter's Journal:
- Whoa, the King Grub mouse nearly wrecked my trap! He definitely dislodged all the salt and left his ah... distinct smell about the place! I'll need to re-salt and scent my trap before attracting another one.
- I should unequip my Grub Scent Charms and save them for later.
Hunters can choose to arm a Shattering Charm instead of a Grub Scent Charm to attract a King Scarab Mouse.
A minimum of 30 salt collected with Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms is generally accepted to be necessary when targeting this mouse. However, between 40 and 50 salt collected will usually result in fewer failures to catch.
The meter will reset after successfully catching the King Scarab Mouse, leaving the following message in the Hunter's Journal:
- Success! Though it took an incredible amount of salt, patience, and luck, I was able to catch the massive and terrible King Scarab mouse! Of course, I'll have to re-salt my trap before attracting any more big game.
Sand Crypts Mice
King Grub Mouse
Hunters wishing to capture the King Grub Mouse must use Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms as part of the King Grub Minigame to weaken it, then arm a Grub Scent Charm to attract it.
A minimum of 18 salt collected with Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms is generally recommended when targeting this mouse.
King Scarab Mouse
Hunters wishing to attract the King Scarab Mouse must use Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms as part of the King Grub Minigame to weaken it, then arm a Shattering Charm to attract it. A minimum of 30 salt collected with Grub Salt Charms or Super Salt Charms is generally accepted to be necessary when targeting this mouse. However, between 40 and 50 salt collected will usually result in fewer failures to catch.
Cheese Preferences and Loot
Requires weakening with Grub Salt Charms
Requires weakening with Grub Salt Charms
|175,000||22,500||X||Living Garden Theme Scrap 3|
|Sand Colossus||20,500||1,500||X||Aleth Essence|
Hunters should arm Graveblossom Camembert to collect Lunaria Petals from the mice found in the Sand Crypts. Hunters can then use Lunaria Petals (along with Plumepearl Herbs) to purchase Lunaria Camembert.
Capturing King Grub
Capturing King Scarab
Shattering Charms can be crafted with the proper ingredients.
|Formula: Shattering Charm|
These charms can be crafted given the proper ingredients or obtained from Living Garden Treasure Chest.
|Formula: Super Salt Charm|
|Extra Coarse Salt||1||10,000|
- Aurora Base - Limited Edition - has a chance to generate a random essence (from Aleth to Icuri)
- Hothouse Base - Limited Edition - Doubles the range of Garden Petals and Herbs dropped by mice in this location.
- Living Base - Doubles the range of Garden Petals and Herbs dropped by mice in this location.
- The Grub Salt Charm and Super Salt Charm increases the salt level by 1 and 2 respectively.
- The Grub Scent Charm allows the attraction of King Grub Mouse.
- The Shattering Charm allows the attraction of King Scarab Mouse.
- M400 Bait Research Assignment - This assignment may require Hunters to track down specific items from Sand Crypts mice in order to complete it.
- M400 Hunting Research Assignment - This assignment may require collecting 1 Piece of M400 Intel from mice in the Sand Crypts and/or capture the M400.
Hunting tips by Larry
You're going to need a lot of Graveblossom Camembert here. The mice in these crypts don't seem to like anything else! Plus, any other cheese just doesn't feel... appropriate here in this world.
There don't seem to be any grublings in these crypts, but there's definite evidence they've been here, with slime trails littering the ground. At any rate, Grubling Chow Charms won't help here.
Instead, listen close and you'll hear the roar of the King Grub Mouse. He's huge, and powerful, and up to no good! Now, while catching him is definitely in your best interests, he's not going to be an easy fight!
First, you'll need to liberally apply coatings of salt to your trap by purchasing and using Grub Salt Charms, then when you feel you've salted your trap enough, purchase and use some Grub Scent Charms to draw him to your trap and steal his Garden Essences.
The King Grub Mouse is hoarding Garden Essences, but why?
These are the shops that can be found in the Cursed City:
|Grub Salt Charm||200
1 Ber Essence
|Grub Scent Charm||500
1 Cynd Essence
1 Dewthief Petal
|Dewthief Camembert 4-Pack||3,000
3 Dewthief Petal
1 Magic Essence
1 Duskshade Petal
1 Dreamfluff Herbs
|Duskshade Camembert 4-Pack||4,400
3 Duskshade Petal
3 Dreamfluff Herbs
1 Magic Essence
1 Graveblossom Petal
|Graveblossom Camembert 4-Pack||6,000
3 Graveblossom Petal
1 Magic Essence
1 Lunaria Petal
1 Plumepearl Herbs
|Lunaria Camembert 4-Pack||7,100
3 Lunaria Petal
3 Plumepearl Herbs
1 Magic Essence
|Rift Base Blueprints||7,500,000||7,500,000|
History and Trivia
- 14 November 2012: The Sand Crypts opened along with the Living Garden.
- 14 January 2013: The King Scarab Mouse was added to the Sand Crypts.