A sudden burst of pollution from the Laboratory has resulted in this hideous Toxic Spill! The Hunter's Title required to enter is dependant on the current contamination level. As hunters clean the area and lower the contamination, less experienced hunters will be permitted to enter. Hunters are not allowed in the area when there is no pollution to clean up.
Description and Requirements
The Toxic Spill is a location in the Burroughs region requiring a variable minimum rank and the Burroughs Laboratory Map Piece to enter. Mice in this location may steal points, gold, or multiple pieces of cheese if not captured.
When a toxic spill is detected, a minimum rank is established (up to Archduke/Archduchess). As hunters clean up the area by catching mice, lower ranks are permitted to join the efforts; the available mouse population changes depending on the rank currently permitted to hunt. The lowest possible rank for entry is Hero; after cleanup is complete at that level, the area is closed and hunters can finally refine Crude Pollutinum into Pollutinum before the next spill begins.
The Heads-up Display covers several aspects of the area. In the top left is a count of the current number of hunters in the area. Along the right is a display showing the hunter's inventory of Rotten, Super Rotten, and Soap Charms, as well as the number of Crude Pollutinum the hunter has collected; each box has a hint shown when hovering over it:
- Rotten Charms attract mice that drop Soapy Suds!
- Super Rotten Charms attract more mice that drop Soapy Suds!
- Craft and arm Soap Charms for a power and luck bonus against Polluted mice!
- Refine Crude Pollutinum from your Special inventory! You can only collect a limited amount per Toxic Spill. Upgrade your barrel at the shop to collect more!
The amount of Crude Pollutinum is initially capped at 200 per spill, although a hunter can increase the limit to as much as 250 by purchasing various sizes of Waste Barrels at the general store. Along the bottom is a display of all 8 Ranks allowed in the area, showing which ranks can currently contribute to the hunt, and giving a progress meter for the amount of hunting at the current rank. Hovering over the ranks gives messages such as:
- Contamination too low. Higher levels of pollution will require more experience hunters.
- Contamination level cleared!
- Lady - 42%
- Catch mice to reduce the pollution and lower the contamination level!
- Catch mice to make the area safer for less experienced hunters!
Finally, if a hunter does not have Rancid Radioactive Blue Cheese armed, a message appears in the display warning:
- You must arm Rancid Radioactive Blue to attract mice in this area!
- The Toxic Spill has been cleaned up and the hunters cheer! We move back to the Laboratory for a debriefing.
- I should refine my Crude Pollutinum into pure Pollutinum before the next spill occurs.
These are the shops that can be found in the Toxic Spill:
Toxic Spill Mice
Hunting tips by Larry
YUCK! This Toxic Spill is disgusting! Full of sludge, goo, grime, and scrap!
The Toxic Spill has had dastardly effects on the mice here! Some have grown to massive proportion, while others have gained powerful abilities! These mice are incredibly challenging adversaries!
The severity of the spill is determined by its contamination level. High levels of contamination are where the most powerful mice reside, while lower levels are home to weaker breeds. The contamination level also determines what title a hunter requires in order to enter the area. As mice are captured, the contamination level will slowly drop, making the area safe enough for less experienced hunters.
In order to lure the Polluted mice to your trap, you'll need a more pungent version of Radioactive Blue Cheese called Rancid Radioactive Blue Cheese. This bait can be made from Radioactive Curd and Sludge, however, the King has also dispatched a cheese vendor to the area, allowing you to purchase the bait from the Cheese Shoppe here.
In addition to Rancid Radioactive Blue Cheese, you'll also want to arm your most powerful hydro trap! The mice here are some of the most challenging you'll find, meaning each bit of Power and ounce of Luck will benefit you.
During your hunting endeavours, you'll likely come across a unique item called Crude Pollutinum. This gooey resource can be refined into Pollutinum: a more useful version of itself. Pollutinum can be used to craft a wide variety of useful items including, charms, bases, trap skins, and more!
One last word of caution: While a Toxic Spill is active, Crude Pollutinum cannot be refined. The process is simply too dangerous to attempt while such high levels of radiation are present in the Kingdom. You'll need to wait until the spill is cleaned up before refining any Crude Pollutinum you find to avoid the risk of it being re-contaminated.
Well, that's all the advice I have for you, hunter. Grab some soapy water and get to work! This place is hideous.
History and Trivia
- The Toxic Spill opened on 21 January 2014 with an initial minimum rank of Duke/Duchess.
- Following Spills were on 12 February (Grand Duke/Duchess), 03 April (Count/Countess), 22 April (Grand Duke/Duchess), and 20 May (Archduke/Archduchess).