Editing User pages
Just a quick to note to say thanks for helping clean up the wiki. Also wanted to mention that it's generally considered bad form to edit other user's personal pages, even trying to be helpful like removing dead links. Those pages "belong" to the user and (except for User Talk pages) should generally be edited only by the user. I know you're trying to help, but the User namespace is one to avoid when doing cleanup. Thanks again!15:27, 8 January 2014 (UTC)
- Hi, i agree fully that user pages should be a domain for the user, and not be touched. In this case I think we can make an exception as many of these pages have not been touched for over 5 years, and they clutter the "wanted pages", "wanted templates", etc. Now that I have cleaned up these deadlinks, i was able to find actually issues in the wiki that needed fixing. Without going through over 1500 errors in the special pages. (It is reduced from just under 1500 errors to just under 50)
- Furthermore, why keeping user pages that clutter the wiki, of users that don't even play MH anymore? In this case the user that has al these deadlinks on his page, has not touched the wiki in 5 years, and he hasn't logged in his MH for at least 1 year.
- The simple answer is that it's bad etiquette. If you agree they shouldn't be touched, then please don't touch them. I understand the impact of leaving dead links on user pages, even those that haven't been touched in years, but editing other user's pages simply isn't good practice, even with good intent. 16:02, 8 January 2014 (UTC)
- I agree that User pages that are still i use, should not be touched. User that have left the game, and the wiki, have no reason to come back and edit their own pages, or mark their own pages for deletion. If we keep all data from users, at a certain point you will have more user pages then wiki pages.
- Perhaps true, but that's simply not how wikis typically operate. I would suggest that perhaps a cull of inactive users, including deletion of user pages, would be a good thing. However, the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that it's bad practice to edit User pages, regardless of whether the user in question is currently active or not. I'll leave a note on Michele's Talk page (she's a HitGrab employee and a MHWiki admin). 16:23, 8 January 2014 (UTC)