Along with cheese, traps are absolutely essential for catching mice. (In fact, unlike cheese that can run out, it is impossible not to have a trap.) The term trap is sometimes used interchangeably with weapon, although in the strictest sense that is not correct.
The weapon is the part of the trap that does the actual catching of the mice and is arguably the much more important part of the trap as it contributes the majority of the power to the setup. The base is the part upon which the trap rests and which holds the cheese. Each part of the trap, weapon and base, has its own characteristics (described below) that will affect a hunter's success when used in certain areas, against certain mice, and so on, and it is not always the most powerful combination that is most appropriate in every situation. All factors must be taken into consideration to design a trap that meets the individual hunter's goals.
Traps are available at all Trapsmiths. Every new hunter is given a choice between one of two weapons (Tacky Glue Trap or High Tension Spring) plus a Wooden Base. As hunters capture more mice and get more gold and experience, they can (and should) upgrade their traps with better components to increase their success in catching more powerful mice.
- The overall strength of the component. Traps with higher power are more likely to catch mice.
- Mice have specific weaknesses to certain Power Types. Using the appropriate weapon in the appropriate area is a critical part of any hunter’s strategy.
- The power bonus of both weapon and base are added together and then applied to the total power of the trap, increasing its power.
- The attraction bonus boosts the attraction power of the bait being used increasing the odds of a mouse approaching a hunter’s trap.
- Some components are designed to offer small chances of catching a mouse regardless of the mouse’s strength. It is not uncommon for lucky traps to grant hunters the ability to catch mice that seem far too powerful for their trap. Luck also increases the chance of a mouse dropping loot when caught.
- Any time a mouse is not attracted to a trap during a hunt there is a chance for the cheese to turn stale. Some components are built using harmful chemicals that increase the odds of spoiling bait. Traps with a fresh cheese effect help reduce the likelihood of cheese turning stale.
Shown below is a table with the statistics of all bases currently in-game. Click on the sorting box below a particular attribute to do a quick comparison.
|Aqua Base||230||0%||0%||8||No Effect||1,140,000||124,900|
|Birthday Cake Base LE||175||11%||5%||0||No Effect||0||12,350|
|Candy Cane Base LE||300||0%||0%||8||Fresh||110,000||90,000|
|Chocolate Birthday Cake Base LE||175||8%||5%||1||No Effect||0||0|
|Dehydration Base||225||0%||5%||4||Insanely Fresh||Journeyman+||22,756 – 25,060|
|Firecracker Base LE||300||5%||5%||4||Stale||92,000||90,000|
|Gingerbread Base E||225||8%||0%||4||Insanely Fresh||Master+||27,000 max|
|Magma Base LE||300||8%||5%||10||Insanely Stale||238,200||374,700|
|Monolith Base||300||12%||0%||0||No Effect||0||0|
|Polar Base LE||200||10%||0%||4||Insanely Fresh||90,000||59,550|
|Stone Base||150||10%||0%||0||Fresh||5,000||6,175 – 6,793|
|Wooden Base||35||0%||0%||0||Very Fresh||0||300|
|Wooden Base with Target||75||0%||20%||0||No Effect||650||1,225|
- LE Base has the Limited Edition shield, and is available only during specific events.
- E Available only during specific events.
Please refer to the individual trap pages for additional purchasing information, including trapsmith locations and refund amounts. Click on the sorting box below a particular attribute to do a quick comparison.
|2010 Blastoff Trap LE||2,600||Tactical||15%||0%||25||Very Stale||99,000||512,800|
|500 Pound Spiked Crusher||250||Physical||10%||0%||1||No Effect||2,100||3,450|
|Ancient Box Trap||4,300||Forgotten||10%||0%||4||No Effect||17,000,000||158,175+|
|Ancient Spear Gun||3,600||Hydro||5%||10%||12||Fresh||12,000,000||824,000+|
|Arcane Capturing Rod Of Never Yielding Mystery||3,800||Arcane||12%||0%||18||Insanely Stale||3,393,600||949,050+|
|Bottomless Grave||1,500||Shadow||0%||0%||5||No Effect||728,000||673,630|
|Christmas Cracker Trap LE||3,000||Physical||15%||5%||24||Very Fresh||0||0|
|Chrome DrillBot LE||3,900||Physical||20%||0%||26||Insanely Stale||544,000||897,400|
|Chrome Nannybot LE||1,200||Shadow||5%||5%||6||Fresh||0||0|
|Clockapult of Time||2,275||Shadow||10%||5%||10||Extremely Fresh||20,000,000||2,700,000|
|DeathBot (Chrome Edition) LE||2,800||Physical||20%||15%||30||Very Stale||136,500||512,800|
|Digby DrillBot||3,200||Physical||18%||0%||5||No Effect||409,500||404,340|
|Giant Speaker LE||2,850||Tactical||5%||5%||22||No Effect||91,000||612,800|
|Gingerbread House Surprise E||2,200||Tactical||10%||10%||8||Über Fresh||Master+||94,500 max.|
|High Tension Spring||75||Physical||5%||20%||2||No Effect||0||600|
|HitGrab Horsey LE||550||Physical||2%||0%||20||Very Fresh||0||15,850|
|HitGrab Rainbow Rockin' Horse LE||1,250||Physical||2%||10%||25||Very Fresh||Journeyman+||60,050+|
|HitGrab Rockin' Horse LE||1,250||Physical||2%||10%||25||No Effect||9,100||158,500|
|Horrific Venus Mouse Trap||3,400||Tactical||12%||1%||16||No Effect||8,000,000||849,650+|
|Ice Maiden||5,200||Draconic||12%||0%||8||No Effect||17,000,000||600|
|Kraken Chaos LE||3,400||Hydro||0%||0%||18||Very Stale||843,500||860,000|
|Mouse Mary O'Nette||250||Physical||0%||6%||5||Fresh||2,100||6,250|
|Mouse Rocketine||650||Physical||6%||0%||0||Very Stale||11,000||18,700|
|Mouse Trebuchet||600||Physical||2%||4%||1||Very Fresh||11,000||15,850|
|Mutated Venus Mouse Trap||2,300||Tactical||15%||0%||8||Insanely Stale||827,500||299,650+|
|Nannybot LE||525||Parental||5%||0%||5||No Effect||0||0|
|NVMRC Forcefield Trap||2,350||Physical||12%||10%||12||No Effect||91,000||243,580+|
|Obelisk of Incineration||2,150||Arcane||10%||0%||1||Insanely Stale||1,696,240||361,429+|
|Obelisk of Slumber||2,100||Arcane||0%||10%||0||Extremely Fresh||1,696,240||316,350|
|Snow Barrage LE||1,450||Tactical||20%||20%||28||Very Fresh||68,000||140,600|
|Snowglobe Trap LE||2,350||Physical||12%||10%||16||No Effect||91,000||341,000|
|Swiss Army Mouse Trap||1,200||Physical||2%||2%||10||No Effect||45,500||68,895+|
|Tacky Glue Trap||70||Physical||0%||40%||2||Stale||0||550|
|Thorned Venus Mouse Trap||3,400||Tactical||5%||2%||14||Very Fresh||8,000,000||849,650+|
|Venus Mouse Trap||1,900||Tactical||0%||5%||5||Extremely Fresh||490,500||299,650|
|Zugzwang's Last Move||2,200||Tactical||15%||0%||7||Fresh||705,000||415,000|
- LE Weapon has the Limited Edition shield, and the weapon or its components are available only during specific events.
- E Weapon or its components are available only during specific events.
All weapons and bases that were bought from a Trapsmith can be refunded for 18% of the vendor price. A hunter can refund a trap component only if the Trapsmith at the current location also sells it. Therefore, crafted traps can never be refunded.