Stale Cheese is the by-product of baited cheese going stale from a trap's cheese effect. Depending on the type of baited cheese, one of 3 types of stale cheese will be created. Only hunters with the title of Apprentice and above will be able to collect stale cheese.
Stale cheese is automatically added to your crafting inventory, however this process has been known to be non-instant.
Dried up morsels of cheese are often the result of traps made with harmful chemicals.
Standard Stale Cheese is created when most types of cheese becomes stale.
Stale cheese may also be found in Mysterious Boxes, Green Winter Hunt Gift Boxes, as loot from Realm Ripper mice, and obtained as a gift from friends either directly or indirectly via Mystery Gift Boxes.
The sight of this item often draws a tear or two from even the most steadfast MouseHunter. The magic of this item seems to be empowered by its almost paradoxical existence.
Stale SUPER|brie+ is created when cheese that has Magic Essence as a required ingredient turns stale. Additionally, Runic cheese forms Stale SUPER|brie+, whether or not Magic Essence was used in its creation. All other crafted cheese with two crafting recipes, one with SUPER|brie+ and one without, convert to standard Stale Cheese. Cheese types that form Stale SUPER|brie+ are listed as follows:
Strategy: With SUPER|brie+, the easiest way to collect Stale SUPER|brie+ is to head to either the Forbidden Grove or the Acolyte Realm and use the trap setup with the stalest cheese effect. To avoid losing Magic Essence, hunters may instead craft Runic without using Magic Essence, and hunt outside Bristle Woods using the same setup. Alternatively, Moon cheese can be used outside of Bristle Woods or Burroughs.
This toxic waste is the result of radioactive blue cheese turning stale.
Radioactive Sludge is also dropped by Bog Beast mice in Toxic Spill. It was also dropped as a loot item by the more common breeds of mice in the Laboratory during the weekend event of 08-10 October 2010, and by the Zombot Unipire during the Halloween Trick AND Treat Event.
Usage: It is used in the crafting of Antiskele Charms, and Limelight and Rancid Radioactive Blue cheeses. Also, 20 pieces of Radioactive Sludge are used in crafting the Mutated Venus Mouse Trap or the Horrific Venus Mouse Trap.
Strategy: To effectively get Radioactive Sludge, use any trap setup with the stalest cheese effect and hunt in an area where the mice are not attracted to Radioactive Blue Cheese, such as in the Pinnacle Chamber or Dracano. Another method for less-experienced hunters is to use a trap such as the Mouse Rocketine in combination with the Explosive Base in an area such as the Great Gnarled Tree.
Gathering Stale Cheese
- The cheese must not attract a mouse (simply not catching a mouse is not enough; cheese stolen by a mouse, with or without a red box, cannot go stale).
- The trap's cheese effect must prevent the cheese from staying fresh.
This suggests that to have a cheese piece go stale, one must use a trap with a stale cheese effect baited with a cheese that does not attract very many mice.
Weapons with a stale effect include:
- Stale: Harpoon Gun, Mouse DeathBot, Onyx Mallet, Net Cannon, PartyBot, Sinister Portal, Tacky Glue Trap
- Very Stale: 2010 Blastoff Trap, Chrome DeathBot, Kraken Chaos, RhinoBot, Birthday Candle Kaboom, Gorgon Trap, Obvious Ambush Trap
- Extremely Stale: 2012 Big Boom Trap, Cackle Lantern Trap, Mouse Rocketine
- Insanely Stale: Arcane Capturing Rod Of Never Yielding Mystery, Mutated Venus Mouse Trap, Obelisk of Incineration, Chrome DrillBot, Enraged RhinoBot
- Ultimately Stale: Chrome RhinoBot, Zurreal's Folly
Bases with a stale effect:
- Stale: Explosive Base, Firecracker Base, Remote Detonator Base
- Very Stale: Spiked Base
- Extremely Stale: Molten Shrapnel Base
- Insanely Stale: Magma Base
- Uber Stale: Crushed Birthday Cake Base
Statistically speaking, stale cheese farming is nearly as effective with a Wooden Base with Target or Birthday Cake Base as with the Explosive Base. However, hunters should recognize that these two bases have a lesser stale cheese effect than the Explosive Base and the Magma Base, and in addition the Wooden Base with Target has a higher attraction rate, thereby reducing the opportunities for stale cheese. In some areas (Meadow, Town of Digby, Bazaar and Laboratory) there is a reason to use these alternate bases because of the possibility of catching rare mice or collecting rare loot or potions.
Cheddar and White Cheddar are the cheeses with the lowest attraction. In most areas, however, these cheeses will still attract some mice. The Mousoleum, Catacombs, Forbidden Grove, Acolyte Realm, Jungle of Dread and Dracano are areas where few or no mice are drawn to standard cheeses. In these locations, traps collect the most stale cheese in the least amount of time.
- Cheese – Required to create stale cheese.
- Cheese Effect – Information on how cheese goes stale.
- Traps – List of traps along with their cheese effect.