|Region: Rift Plane|
|Travel Requirement:||Rift Detector|
|Required Power Type:||Rift|
|Required Cheeses:||String Cheeses|
|Number of Mice:||38|
|Release Date:||9 September 2014|
|Just when you thought you understood and could deal with the horrors of the Gnawnian Rift, a new rift opens up! Tendrils of mist curl along the ground, and the terrifying cries of powerful mice echo all around. Do you have what it takes to take it on?|
Description and Requirements
The Heads-up Display gives hints about the gameplay and progress towards particular goals. If the wrong cheese is armed, a message warns You'll need String Cheese to hunt in this area!.
On the left is a listing of the hunter's inventory of the three cheese categories effective in the area (String Cheese, Terre Ricotta, and Polluted Parmesan), with a button for ARM on each, or a button ARMED for disarming if that cheese is armed. Hovering over a cheese icon gives a bit more detail:
- The String Cheese icon defaults to Magical String Cheese when not armed, but hovering shows Arm String Cheese to gather Terre Ricotta potions! along with an option to arm any of the four string cheeses. When armed, the current cheese shows as the icon.
- Hovering on the Terre Ricotta icon shows Brew Terre Ricotta Cheese from potions to summon dangerous mice! along with a count of the hunter's Terre Ricotta Potions and an option to brew more cheese.
- Hovering on the Polluted Parmesan icon shows Brew Polluted Parmesan Cheese from potions to summon dangerous mice! along with a count of the hunter's Polluted Parmesan Potions and an option to brew more cheese.
- Click to start releasing mist!
- While misting, you'll release one Mist Canister into the air per hunt. Try to keep your Mist Meter in the green zone to attract mice worth the most points, gold, and loot!
When misting, the button changes to MISTING and the hint reads:
- Click to stop releasing mist!
- While not misting, one mist will dissipate per hunt. Try to keep your Mist Meter in the green zone to attract mice worth the most points, gold, and loot!
The Mist Meter affects which mice a hunter will attract. Each hunt with a Mist Canister armed results in the meter raising by one, until a maximum of 20, regardless of attraction or catches of mice. Each hunt without a Mist Canister lowers the meter back down. The meter starts in the yellow zone between 1 and 5 mists, with a smaller range of attracted mice. The green zone includes a checkmark icon, between 6 and 18 mists, with a larger range of mice. Finally, the red zone includes an exclamation mark icon, at 19 and 20 mists, where only the boss mice are attracted.
Messages are left in the Hunter's Journal for various events:
- When a hunter starts misting:
- I have opened my first Mist Canister and mice have begun to emerge from within the mist...
- When a hunter goes up to 18 mist:
- Nearly there! There is almost enough mist in the air that the biggest and strongest mice will start appearing!
- I need to be sure I'm ready to face them and have the strongest trap setup possible!
- When a hunter runs out of mist:
- I ran out of Mist Canisters and stopped releasing mist.
- I should use String Cheese to hunt mice that drop Mist Canisters in order to replenish my supply.
- When a hunter is not misting and the meter reaches 0:
- The last of the mist dissipated from the atmosphere.
- I should obtain more Mist Canisters and begin misting again.
On the right, the graphic changes according to the current set of attracted mice. There is one image for 0 mist meter, then another three images for all three misting levels according to the cheese armed.
To progress in the area, a hunter first has to collect Mist Canisters and then start misting. Using String Cheese while the mist meter is above zero can attract mice that drop Terre Ricotta Potions. These can be converted to Terre Ricotta cheese which attracts mice that drop Polluted Parmesan Potions. These in turn can be used to attract the Menace of the Rift mouse, which drops a Null Gauntlet, as well as other mice that drop Rift Circuitry. These items, coupled with a smashed Crystal Tower purchased in the Gnawnia Rift, can then be used to buy the Focused Crystal Laser (best for mice at 19 and 20 mist) or the Multi-Crystal Laser (best for mice at lower misting levels).
These are the shops that can be found in the Burroughs Rift:
Burroughs Rift Mice
The Phase Zombie, Tech Ravenous Zombie Mouse, and Zombot Unipire the Third may drop Undead String Emmental Potions during Zombie Invasions. Undead String Emmental cheese is the only cheese that will attract the Tomb Exhumer in this location.
Hunting tips by Larry
I swear, it's not cold, but I did get a chill just now! This place is spooky!
First up, you'll want to arm some string cheese and collect Mist Canisters from local mice. Then, start opening them up to attract spookier, stronger mice. Pay close attention to your mist meter while you're hunting. Not enough mist and you won't attract any mice worth catching. Too much mist and you'll attract big bruisers that are too much to handle for now!
Hunt in the mist for a while and you'll start collecting Terre Ricotta potions. The cheese you create from these will allow you to hunt new and scarier mice. These new mice will occasionally drop Polluted Parmesan potions, which allow you to create the rarest and most dangerous cheese in this rift!
When using Polluted Parmesan, you'll want to hunt only in the deepest areas of the mist, and try to catch the Menace Of The Rift. He has a fantastic treasure - a Null Gauntlet - which allows you to equip Rift Vacuum Charms. These charms siphon tiny amounts of energy from rift mice and condense it into Calcified Rift Mist - the main ingredient in creating rift charms!
Finally, once you've collected your Null Gauntlet and created some powerful charms, it's time to go back into the depths of the mist. The mice there drop Rift Circuitry, which you can use to craft two new powerful Rift Power traps and turn the tables on the rift mice!
It's a long list and a tall order, hunter, and the mice here are more powerful than most, but I know you can do it, so have at it!
History and Trivia
- 9 September 2014: The Burroughs Rift was released.
- 17 May 2017: Undead String Emmental cheese was introduced as part of the Zombie Invasion 2017 and attracts the new Tomb Exhumer Mouse.